Charting our own course...

In days of old, sailors would keep a journal while at sea to chronicle their lives as they travelled the world in search of adventure... and perhaps an ounce or two of treasure. In this spirit, our family has also set its own course. My husband's career as a naval aviator keeps us travelling to distant shores... adventures await with every new 'port 'o call' we visit! Because of our nomadic lifestyle we have also embarked upon the adventure of homeschooling our twin boys, age 6 (aka: The Crew). The Crew started their 2nd grade work on 06 Aug 2012. I hope you'll enjoy our story as we chart our own course thru life and set sail on new adventures... gathering our stories and treasure along the way.

Fair Winds and Following Seas my friends!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

New habits?

   Today is August 1st.  For some reason I have never been a fan of August.  Despite the fact that we were married in August (14 years this month!), I have always viewed it as a pretty boring month.  No major holidays to celebrate, and summer is starting to feel like a worn out flip flop.  The grill has been fired up (repeatedly), s'mores have been toasted and consumed (even more repeatedly!), and the dog days of summer are upon us.  Typically I start the school year after the first week... Mostly because I'm a bit of a Christmas freak and I love to take that time off from our official schedule and really immerse ourselves in enjoying the season of Christmas.  So that in itself tends to give even more of a 'funs over!' vibe to this month. 
Each year I find myself taking a deep breath as the calendar flips over to August.  I was in the midst of taking that deep breath this morning when it occured to me that it's really pretty ridiculous to give into this attitude each year.  I think instead that I should flip my attitude about August...make peace with it, at the very least be civil to it!  So I'm trying a new tactic.  I'm going to try new things with the boys this month.  Go out of my way to get off the beaten path... look for new things to do.  New recipes to try for dinner.  Try to enjoy the last days of summer rather than writing them off so quickly.  Today I'm driving out of my way to go to a different park for the afternoon.  Not exactly earth shattering, but I'm pretty guilty of heading out the door to the same park on nice days because it's so convenient.  Well, convenient = boring.  It's time to switch things up.  See what adventures await... develop some new habits.  I'll keep you posted!

Fair Winds Friends!


No comments: