Charting our own course...

In days of old, sailors would keep a journal while at sea to chronicle their lives as they travelled the world in search of adventure... and perhaps an ounce or two of treasure. In this spirit, our family has also set its own course. My husband's career as a naval aviator keeps us travelling to distant shores... adventures await with every new 'port 'o call' we visit! Because of our nomadic lifestyle we have also embarked upon the adventure of homeschooling our twin boys, age 6 (aka: The Crew). The Crew started their 2nd grade work on 06 Aug 2012. I hope you'll enjoy our story as we chart our own course thru life and set sail on new adventures... gathering our stories and treasure along the way.

Fair Winds and Following Seas my friends!

Friday, August 17, 2012

Grade 2, Week 2


It's been a busy week.  Swim lessons are currently on summer schedule, which means four lessons in a week instead of two.  I made the mistake of signing up for a 10 a.m. lesson, thinking that would give me plenty of time each morning.  Obviously the lazy days of summer caused a sort of temporary amnesia about what one can accomplish before 10 a.m.   We managed to make it, but were diverted on Monday by a doctor appointment for one of The Crew.  I'm not quite sure, but it seems he may have inheirited my migraine issues.  Last night he had what I would consider to be a full fledged migraine (light sensitivity and located on one side behind his eye), and I'm no longer willing to continue with the  'wait and see' approach of our current doctor.  I have another appointment scheduled for next week in which I plan on asking for (aka demanding) a referral to a pediatric neourologist.   Keep us in your thoughts!!

As for our school work, we managed to complete everything that I had scheduled, with the exception of our science experiment.  I was out of eggs and didn't really want to add a trip to the store on top of everything else, so we skipped it.  Other than that, everything went really well.  Today, The Crew took their first math test of the year... each of them scoring perfect scores!!  A second quiz in science (also perfect scores... thank you, thank you), and a full review of spelling before launching into AAS2 next week.  This week in history, we finished up with Julius and Cleopatra (... ahhhh, amore!) and are getting ready to move into the middle ages soon.  The boys are also currently reading a chapter a day from Encyclopedia Brown, have memorized their first poem of the year already, and worked on identifying action, state of being, and linking verbs in a sentence.  We're still on target with about 3 hours/day of curriculum work and once their HC classes start in September, our days will be very busy. 

I wanted this post to be a bit more personal this week, but I also wanted to get this up fo rthe week.  Coming soon... My feelings on yet another impending military move.

Fair Winds!


No comments: