Charting our own course...

In days of old, sailors would keep a journal while at sea to chronicle their lives as they travelled the world in search of adventure... and perhaps an ounce or two of treasure. In this spirit, our family has also set its own course. My husband's career as a naval aviator keeps us travelling to distant shores... adventures await with every new 'port 'o call' we visit! Because of our nomadic lifestyle we have also embarked upon the adventure of homeschooling our twin boys, age 6 (aka: The Crew). The Crew started their 2nd grade work on 06 Aug 2012. I hope you'll enjoy our story as we chart our own course thru life and set sail on new adventures... gathering our stories and treasure along the way.

Fair Winds and Following Seas my friends!

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Hey You! Get Outta' My Way!


I was browsing the internet yesterday, and I stumbled upon a fitness blog in which the author wrote about 'getting out of your own way' to obtain your goals. 

Confession #1:  My most current fascination/hobby is body building... I do what I can from home, but I know I'll never really hit my goals unless I go to a gym and sign on with a personal trainer.  Currently with my other obsessions of photography (I have a small lifestyle photography business that I wish I could devote more of my time to) and homeschooling The Crew, it's hard to picture how I can possibly make it all happen. 

Confession #2:  I'm one of those people with a bucket list a mile long.  Including but not limited to:  competing in a fitness competition, writing/publishing a novel, making a real go of my photography business when we finally settle into our 'forever home', travel Europe etc. etc. etc.  Sometimes the frustration I feel about the obstacles in my way are almost palpable.  My other lifestyle choices (aka military life and homeschooling) seem to cause direct conflict with my other dreams.  But do they really?  Or is that just an excuse that I tell myself in order to make my lack of progress on my bucket list easier to deal with?  Am I really just guilty of getting in my own way?

It's hard to imagine giving up one thing in order to accomplish another.  I remind myself that life is full of 'seasons'.  That there will come a time in which we aren't packing up and moving cross country on a regular basis.  That homeschooling will be something I did rather than something I do.  That these other dreams will have their time and that I just need to be patient.  All good things come to those who wait, right??  Unfortunately, I have also had enough expereince with loss in my life to know that sometimes tomorrow doesn't come.  That nothing, especially more time, is guaranteed.   

Confession #3: I'm turning 40 next spring.  There's no time like the present I guess... it looks like I'm going to need come up with a solution.  Move over me, I'm coming thru!




No comments: