Charting our own course...

In days of old, sailors would keep a journal while at sea to chronicle their lives as they travelled the world in search of adventure... and perhaps an ounce or two of treasure. In this spirit, our family has also set its own course. My husband's career as a naval aviator keeps us travelling to distant shores... adventures await with every new 'port 'o call' we visit! Because of our nomadic lifestyle we have also embarked upon the adventure of homeschooling our twin boys, age 6 (aka: The Crew). The Crew started their 2nd grade work on 06 Aug 2012. I hope you'll enjoy our story as we chart our own course thru life and set sail on new adventures... gathering our stories and treasure along the way.

Fair Winds and Following Seas my friends!

Friday, August 10, 2012

First Week!



Our first week of second grade is officially 'in the books'!  We managed to stay on track this week and put in five very solid days of work... I still can't quite believe it!  Admittedly I took on a bit more than usual for our first week back.  Normally I like to settle into our core subjects (math, reading, handwriting) for a week or two and then add in language arts, science, history, geography etc. as we get our groove back.  This year I had scheduled swim lessons for The Crew and unwittingly signed them up for the M,T,W,Th morning lessons.  This meant we needed to be out of the house and on our way to the pool by 10:15 a.m. Each. Morning. This. Week.   Have I mentioned how brilliant of a scheduler I am??

 So I dove (ha ha) right back into our pre-summer schedule of getting up bright and early at 6 a.m  (for my sanity workout), getting myself showered, rousing The Crew for breakfast and getting dressed for the day, packing our swim bag, and then heading upstairs for a solid hour of school work from 9-10.  After coming home, it was a half hour of free time before lunch, eat lunch, and head back upstairs to finish the rest of our work.  Usually we were finished with our book work by 2pm. Then, because I buy into the whole sunshine and exercise thing, I made it a point to hustle us all out the door and to a nearby park for some playtime.  About an hour of that and then we came back home for me to get dinner prepped and some housework done while The Crew had some quiet reading time (currently they're each reading a book from The Magic Treehouse series).  After a quick review of what they'd read (usually in the form of a quick narration of the chapter) our school day is FINALLY complete! This week we averaged just shy of three hours/day for our bookwork, not including quiet reading, park time, swimming etc.  I think that's right on par for second grade... Hurrah!!

All in all, I'm really pleased with the fact that our first week went so well and  that it's done...  I hope that by the time we move in the early part of 2013 that we'll have completed a solid 18 weeks of our school year... because I know we'll be taking an extended break during what will be The Crew's fifth? cross country move.  (Five moves in seven years... yup, I think they are officially military brats ;)

Fair Winds!


No comments: