Charting our own course...

In days of old, sailors would keep a journal while at sea to chronicle their lives as they travelled the world in search of adventure... and perhaps an ounce or two of treasure. In this spirit, our family has also set its own course. My husband's career as a naval aviator keeps us travelling to distant shores... adventures await with every new 'port 'o call' we visit! Because of our nomadic lifestyle we have also embarked upon the adventure of homeschooling our twin boys, age 6 (aka: The Crew). The Crew started their 2nd grade work on 06 Aug 2012. I hope you'll enjoy our story as we chart our own course thru life and set sail on new adventures... gathering our stories and treasure along the way.

Fair Winds and Following Seas my friends!

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Do you have a goal?


I often think of that line from the movie Pretty Woman... "Do you have a goal?  'Cause you need to have a goal... You just can't turn tricks forever."   If you look past the fact that this is a conversation happening between two hookers, it's actually always struck me as pretty good advice.  You gotta have a goal.  Something to work toward when you're somewhere in the middle and you start to lose sight of why you started whatever you're doing in the first place.  Tomorrow we start our second grade year.  I thought it might be a nice time to write out some personal goals for the upcoming school year.  So that when I'm in the midst of the craziness, I can look back and remember what it is that I'm doing it all for.  This year is bound to be full of challenges... The biggest being a scheduled cross-country move just after the new year.  Already I can see all sorts of challenges that we're going to have to overcome due to this.  I need a goal.  A light thru the fog.  Something to aim for... so here we go.

1) Keep my focus on what really matters... it is not really necessary for my seven year old children to dissect a pigs heart.  If it fits into the schedule, fine.  If it's going to make me crazy to get them to the dissection, then I really need to give it a big ol' pass.  Keep focus on what's important.  Besides, they'll have plenty of time for that pig heart later!

2) Learn to say no (and not rake myself over the coals for having said it!).  This is a big one.  I tend to over commit myself, and then end up stressing out over keeping that commitment.  The key to doing everything well, is to not try and do everything!

3) Enjoy the small moments.  I'm pretty good at this, but it's still a nice goal to have :)

4) Stop making lists.  They'll make you crazy.

Fair Winds!


No comments: