Charting our own course...

In days of old, sailors would keep a journal while at sea to chronicle their lives as they travelled the world in search of adventure... and perhaps an ounce or two of treasure. In this spirit, our family has also set its own course. My husband's career as a naval aviator keeps us travelling to distant shores... adventures await with every new 'port 'o call' we visit! Because of our nomadic lifestyle we have also embarked upon the adventure of homeschooling our twin boys, age 6 (aka: The Crew). The Crew started their 2nd grade work on 06 Aug 2012. I hope you'll enjoy our story as we chart our own course thru life and set sail on new adventures... gathering our stories and treasure along the way.

Fair Winds and Following Seas my friends!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Tooth Fairy Cometh... Again!

The Crew has started to lose their teeth. As you know, this is a common enough occurence aboard ship, but I assure you it has nothing to do with scurvy or a general lack of good hygiene and/or personal care. No, it seems that once again I'll be called into duty to attempt the impossible. My mission? To gain access (without detection) into my boys room (we'll call it 'the spider hole' as it's booby trapped with various toys that either light up/emit loud explosions/talk at concert level decibels or a combination of all three.) in the dead of night ...If you know me, you know that this is a task that I've avoided at all costs since early on in their lives. I've never been the 'Snuggle Mom'... you know, the Mom who snuggles up next to their child cooing softly and stroking the hair of their precious angel until they drift off to dreamland? Ya, I found out early that twins... well they keep score...on everything.

"Mom! Will you stroke my hair EXACTLY like you stroked his?" "Mom! I want you to read me that EXACT same story and kiss me goodnight EXACTLY like you did him!" I long ago gave up those dreams I had about rocking my children to sleep... Nope. I was more the "toss 'em swaddled in the general direction of their crib and seal the door closed with a large stone" kind of Mom. On rare occasions I would be required to gain access to the room before morning, and so I became adept at the kind of stealth and evasive maneuvering skills that Seal Team 6 currently employs with such great success. I have to admit... its been awhile since I've had to use said skills, but recently I've found myself being called to duty once more. All thanks to a little legend called the "Tooth Fairy". It was just a few weeks ago that 'Operation Fairy' was initiated. As of this morning I was informed by my boy that Round II is imminent.

I'm going in later tonight... Pray for me.

No comments: