Charting our own course...

In days of old, sailors would keep a journal while at sea to chronicle their lives as they travelled the world in search of adventure... and perhaps an ounce or two of treasure. In this spirit, our family has also set its own course. My husband's career as a naval aviator keeps us travelling to distant shores... adventures await with every new 'port 'o call' we visit! Because of our nomadic lifestyle we have also embarked upon the adventure of homeschooling our twin boys, age 6 (aka: The Crew). The Crew started their 2nd grade work on 06 Aug 2012. I hope you'll enjoy our story as we chart our own course thru life and set sail on new adventures... gathering our stories and treasure along the way.

Fair Winds and Following Seas my friends!

Saturday, August 13, 2011

The tide has shifted... yet again.

Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes. ~Henry David Thoreau

I have friends all over the world. Some are literally on other continents, and many more are several time zones away. I've met them all under differents circumstances and in different 'seasons' of my life. Some I have known since childhood, some I share hazy memories of college life with, others I met in the early child-free days of our military life, and even more I have met since having children. I love them all, and I do my best to try and keep touch over the distance with them... to maintain the connection that drew us together in the first place. I have to admit though, it's not the same. I miss spending time with each of them. I miss their laughs, their smiles, and their points of view. I want to share a cup of coffee or a glass of wine with them and talk about our children and our lives. I want to say "Come on over" when I hear they're having a rough day. I want to be in their lives and not just an observer.  For me this is one of the hardest experiences of being a military spouse.  To have so many friends, and yet to feel so alone at times.  Today is one of those days.  I met a woman just about 10 months ago.  We forged an instant bond that took us both a bit by surprise.  It was like I knew her the  minute I met her and she in turn completely understood me as well.  Today, she and her family leave the military and are heading to the east coast to begin their new lives in their new home.  I miss her already.  I know I'll be calling often and I hope that one day we'll be close enough to visit each other fairly easily... but somehow it just doesn't seem to be enough.

My friend, travel safe and may you always have

No comments: