Charting our own course...

In days of old, sailors would keep a journal while at sea to chronicle their lives as they travelled the world in search of adventure... and perhaps an ounce or two of treasure. In this spirit, our family has also set its own course. My husband's career as a naval aviator keeps us travelling to distant shores... adventures await with every new 'port 'o call' we visit! Because of our nomadic lifestyle we have also embarked upon the adventure of homeschooling our twin boys, age 6 (aka: The Crew). The Crew started their 2nd grade work on 06 Aug 2012. I hope you'll enjoy our story as we chart our own course thru life and set sail on new adventures... gathering our stories and treasure along the way.

Fair Winds and Following Seas my friends!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Can I ask Why?

This is the question that the majority of my friends ask most often after hearing that I homeschool The Crew.  "Why?" and "Don't you want/need a break?" are often the first two questions that are lobbed my way followed by an incredulous "You couldn't pay me to do that!".  Now, I understand where they're coming from... not only do I understand it, but often as I hear the 'big yellow bus' pull up to the corner right outside our door I find myself wondering "Why do I do this?".  And as the bus rumbles to a stop and the neighborhood offspring start piling on,  I  will often slide into a daydream about what life must be like on the 'other side'.  Just like my friends who have pre-conceived notions about how I'm ruining my kids for life by homeschooling them, I'm sure that I have grossly exaggerated fantasies about the amount of spa time, mani & pedi's, and massages that I could be fitting into my non-homeschooling schedule ( it is a daydream after all!) By the time the sound of squealing hydraulics rouse me from my thoughts of sliced cucumbers, I've usually put aside the idea of a 'brick and mortar' education for the millionth time (give or take).  And once the sound of gears grinding down the street has faded, I'm once again recommited to the path we've chosen.   a) because I really don't have the time to be staring slack jawed out my kitchen window and b) because I know deep down that I couldn't do it.  The reasons for b) are varied and quite numerous, but ultimately it comes down to the fact that what we're doing works for us.  The Crew is thriving.  They are far beyond where they need to be for entering first grade.  In several subjects they are well into second and third grade work (shameless brag!).  They have friends.  Alot of friends.  They are not shy.  They are not awkward.  And I haven't ruined them...yet.  Ultimately in the end I think we all have to do what we feel is in the best interest of our families.  What is for you, may not be for me.  What is for me, may not be for you.  Neither of us is right, and neither of us is wrong.  We're just choosing different paths. 

I wish you luck on the course you've charted... and I hope you'll do the same for us!

1 comment:

Joy said...

I think homeschooling is great!! My kids want to go back to public school, though, this year. We didn't have a great set-up in Jacksonville, and I think that warped their perspective. They just felt really lonely there. Anyway, good job. I think it's fantastic your boys are so far ahead!